Mold is one of the most common allergens in the air. Especially in wet environments, mold spores travel throughout the air causing allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to it. In large amounts, mold can pose a severe health risk. Mold flourishes in damp, dark places in your home like basements. If you have moisture leaks in your home or insufficient humidity control, mold can grow quickly, spreading its spores via your ventilation system. Here are some ways in which mold can affect your family’s health.
When exposed to higher levels of mold, individuals who are allergic will begin to develop a wide variety of mold exposure symptoms including wheezing, coughing, sneezing and, in more serious instances, asthma episodes. The allergic reaction to mold varies according to sensitivity and the level of mold in the air. Children and the elderly are particularly susceptible to mold allergies. If you notice that you or someone in your family is exhibiting constant allergy symptoms, this may be a sign of unusually high mold levels in your home.
When mold problems are left unattended and reach even more dangerous levels, the allergic reactions to the spores can become even more serious. In addition to respiratory problems, individuals can even develop severe rashes from mold exposure. In the most serious cases, exposure to excessive amounts of mold can cause fever, flu-like symptoms, and even liver damage.
Don’t let mold endanger your family’s health. If you notice that members of your family have begun to display allergy systems inside your home, this may be a sign that you have a mold problem. To learn more about the health effects of mold exposure, call Daso Cleaning & Restoration at (718) 893-0252.